Saturday, October 25, 2008

My mural is underway. I expect it to take several more weeks and so thought I would try to post information and photos to show my progress.

The mural is at the Crawfordsville Public Library.

It all started with a letter from the Teachers' Retirement Assoc. here in town. They sent a letter out to about 8 local artists asking us to submit proposals for a mural in one section of the library. As it turned out only three of us turned in proposals. The TRA turned the sketches over to the library. The library board then accepted all three proposals and asked us all to paint.

We had all three submitted drawings for the center part of the Youth Services Area at the library. I had to re-draw mine to fit in an area to the left of that wall. The other two artists, Jill Stockwell and Mike Bowman, started their murals weeks before I did. I imagine they are about done and hope to post pictures of their work as well.


My drawing is surrealism. Four large trees dominate the picture. They are not normal trees, but rather a tree made of books and a patterned tree that unzips, and a giraffe tree and a water tree. The other dominate image is a dragon reading a book. I need to work on the dragon soon. She doesn't really look like a dragon yet and people think she is a kangaroo. (Next Saturday she gets painted.)Anyway, pictures to be posted soon.

No comments: